Wednesday 25 March 2009

The Eternal Head Scarf





I don't know about you, but I go in and out of headscarves darling! I wish I was joking. I love the things because Jacqmar silk squares featured strongly in my childhood. My mother's bridge friends would come round in the afternoon and leave their scarves with their scented fur coats over the banisters. I would compare the designs, try them on and replace them very carefully. I also remember being amazed when my eldest sister was given half a dozen Jacqmar scarves for her 21st birthday.




I had some gorgeous Hermes scarves in the 70s, the most conventional era of my life, and then suddenly got embarrassed by them so they ended up in the dressing up box, or as the world's most upmarket security blanket for one of my kids. Ouch. Ouch. Who would have guessed they'd be rehabilitated in the 1980s as must-haves and collectors' items?

And now, apparently, headscarves are the fashion accessory du jour, or were when I last looked. All over the autumn/winter collection catwalks, tied conventionally under the chin. Kate Moss has been known to wear one! This reminded me of a delicious book I have, The Scarf by Andrew Baseman [pub. Stewart, Tabori & Chang NY 1989] and I shall now revisit it and indulge my nostalgia.




The One That Got Away. Hermes 'Promenade de Longchamps' (1970)


Elsie de Wolfe moves the scarf knot from under the chin to the side of her neck



Diana Vreeland styles the model Bijou (1942)



My all-time favourite. Dior's "Roses sur Paris" (mid 1950s)



Bernard Buffet design (c 1959)


Emilio Pucci (1960s)



Detail: 'Hera' by Liberty. The famous peacock feather pattern was designed in 1887 by Arthur Silver




And finally, the world's most iconic wearer of the headscarf, Queen Elizbeth II with USA President Ronald Reagan riding at Windsor 1982

Photo copyright Arthur Edwards

Image at top courtesy shesinvogue.blogspot.com; Jacqmar scarf at http://www.samayalingvintage.com

15 comments:

  1. These women show how to do it right! I love scarfs myself, I think I own about 20 of them (of the male variety, not headscarves!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's good AD. My own favourite is in fact a man's silk cravat/scarf, navy blue with white spots, that I've worn all winter I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. or this one! I will say my mother (honestly a little bite of Grace Kelly-and has been told so all her life) came really DO a headscarf or kerchief as we say down S. I love those iconic pictures and what a clever post. I might add JACKIE O- she could rock one too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wear them. For the head. Mostly Hermes. In cooler months, around the neck. I love doing the Grace Kelly knotted at the back look. When I want to channel QEII, under the chin and Wellington boots. Can you believe I was taught that a lady always wore a silk scarf around her neck, to protect the collar of her coat? Your mother's friends would have worn them to protect the fur.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for sharing your scarf wisdom. I can remember clouds of loose Charles of the Ritz powder wafting around those women, settling on the fur sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been hitting thrift shops for years...collecting designer head scarves...They are so jolly framed as art...and getting harder to find...Curses an informed public...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anon' I know, I know. I haven't framed anything yet but it's a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here's a man's vote for more women with the panache to wear a Kelly head-scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well said that man! Thank you - we need your encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Still waiting for a Kelly head-scarf sighting in Dallas-Fort Worth !

    ReplyDelete
  11. John, thank you for dropping by. Too few headscarves worn generally these days anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to wear a headscarf when I lived in London or was in Paris... but usually not here for some reason? I love the Buffet scarf... it's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The simple classical style of a scarf is so oft overlooked and underrated. While the celebrities you feature are perfect, your choices of scarves are simply exquisite. Commendable post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like to see the headscarf tied, not under the chin as normal, but in between the chin and mouth. Really sophisticated.

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails